Saturday, October 26, 2013

Our guilty silence


Every now and then I run across articles that castigate American Christians or American churches for their (alleged) silence in the face of Christian persecution around the world. Although I share their concern, what, if anything, do the critics have in mind by way of a constructive alternative?

Do they think pastors should denounce from the pulpit the persecution of Christians around the world? If so, what would that accomplish? Would that change anything?

Do they think pastors should educate their parishioners are the phenomenon of Christian persecution around the world. If so, what would that accomplish? Would that change anything?

Do the critics think American Christians ought to take action? If so, what action? Email the White House? Email the State Department? What would that accomplish?

Write their senator or Congressman? If so, what would that accomplish? To begin with, what if you live in a blue state. What if your liberal senator or Congressman doesn't care about the plight of persecuted Christians?

And even if he does, what do you think he should do about it? Hold a Congressional hearing? Write an angry letter to the ambassador of a county that persecutes Christians?

Propose economic sanctions against countries that persecute Christians? Arm Christians in countries that persecute Christians? Offer asylum? 

I'm just curious about whether critics of our "silence" have any practical solutions. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Are the critics assuming we don't pray for persecuted Christians?

      Delete
  2. I'm really not sure--I was just throwing out a possibility. But perhaps they're suggesting that if there was more talk about this from the pulpit, the congregation would be more aware and more prayerful about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ree is right on. Steve, you may be faithfully praying for persecuted brothers and sisters. I know I'm failing at this though. It is quite good, in my view, to put our congregations in touch with what's happening in other countries to our family in Christ. Most of the Christians I've grown up with have no idea; I didn't until another Christian couple took the time to share their burden for the persecuted church with my wife and I.

    ReplyDelete