Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Monstrous grace



Roger Olson
That God does this for some and not for others when he could do it for all (because it is not based on anything he sees in anyone) is a mystery with which I cannot live. It makes God monstrous. 
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolson/2014/07/arminianism-faq-1-everything-you-always-wanted-to-know/#comment-1480376975

Olson has gotten to the point where he calls good evil. He looks grace square in the face and calls it morally monstrous. Frankly, Olson's theology is diabolical. 

Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded (Rom 3:37)

For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God (Rom 4:2)

28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being[a] might boast in the presence of God. 30 And because of him[b] you are in Christ Jesus (1 Cor 1:28-30).
7 For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? (1 Cor 4:7).
If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness (2 Cor 11:30).

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast (Eph 2:8-9).
11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12 she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[b] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.
19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction (Rom 9:11-22).

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Olson considers God's "failure" to provide/offer an opportunity for redemption to other intelligent sentient creatures other than humans (fallen angels a.k.a. demons), while still holding them morally accountable and eternally damnable to be "monstrous".

    As far as I can tell from Scripture there are only two classes of beings that fail to honor and obey God as He deserves and commands - humans and demons.

    Why isn't Olson spluttering and fulminating over God's obvious and contemptible mistreatment of those poor, fallen shining ones who never got a second chance? Why aren't the demons getting a fair shake? Where's Olson's outrage? As Doc Holliday well said in Tombstone, "[his] hypocrisy knows no bounds."

    ReplyDelete