Sunday, December 14, 2014

Paroling serial killers


Unlike the US, where many states retain the barbaric tradition of capital punishment, civilized nations take a more enlightened view of crime and punishment:

A Rio de Janeiro man has confessed to killing more than 40 people for fun – making him one of history's most prolific serial killers. 
Sailson Jose das Gracas, 26, was arrested shortly after stabbing a woman to death on the outskirts of the sprawling city, and soon confessed to another 41 murders, police said. Thirty-eight of his victims were women, three men and one a two-year-old girl. 
Das Graces boasted during a police press conference that he derived great pleasure from the exact moment his victims died and that four of the killings were contract murders for Cleoza Barbina and Jose Messia, a couple who have since also been arrested, according to a police statement
The couple paid him to kill at least one person over a debt of only $15, according to reports. 
Das Graces said the more his victims struggled, the more joy he derived from their deaths.
"I was glad when she struggled, screamed and scratched me," he told police, according to Odia, a local newspaper. 
"At 17, I killed the first woman and that gave me a buzz. I kept on doing it and I enjoyed it," he said, according to AFP. 
Das Graces told reporters he regretted only one murder, the two-year-old child.
"I only regret the child," he said, according to Odia. "The child cried a lot and could have woken the neighbors." 
"I don't feel remorse. If I go to jail for 10, 15, 20 years, then as soon as I get out I'll do the same thing all over again." 
The maximum prison sentence for a serial killer under Brazilian law is only 30 years. 
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/12/killing-calmed-me-down-brazilian-man-admits-murdering-more-than-40-people-rio-de-janeiro/21115576/

No comments:

Post a Comment